Sunday, September 29, 2013

Literary Lights for Children

Books are like candy for me-I just can't get enough!  Like most avid readers, I have favorite authors and illustrators, and I love to share my excitement about them with others.  I've become close friends with the staff at The Blue Bunny Bookstore in Dedham and have been lucky enough to attend many of their wonderful author/illustrator events.  On the day Emily got her first American Girl doll (and cast and crutches...for the doll), we met Jane O'Connor, the author of the Fancy Nancy series there.  She was kind enough to sign Emily's (the doll's) cast!  This is just one amazing encounter of many that we have had there. (And you all probably already know that we love our friend, Peter H. Reynolds!)

Well, I was lucky enough this weekend, to have another sort of amazing author encounter.  My friend Joy, knowing that I am a HUGE fan of Rick Riordan and his Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus, Kane Chronicles, and 39 Clues series, invited me as a guest to The Literary Lights for Children at the Boston Public Library. 
 

Boy, was I in for a treat!  Not only did I get to meet and listen to one of my idols, Rick Riordan, but I also was able to meet the other wonderful authors and illustrators listed above.  You may know Jeanne Birdsall for her Penderwick's series or picture books (http://www.jeannebirdsall.com/index.html), recognize Kadir Nelson's illustrations from a multitude of renown picture books (http://www.kadirnelson.com/Books.html), or know of Helen Frost from her poetic literature (http://www.helenfrost.net/). Regardless, Literary Lights for Children was an amazing event, and I look forward to attending again in the future.  
Remember that authors and illustrators are often idols for your children, and often more reachable than athletes, musicians, and movie stars.  Be sure to reach out and give your children the opportunity to meet these incredible talents who create new worlds and adventures for us all!

Rick Riordan accepting his award. 

 Meeting Mr. Riordan! 





   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and positive comments welcome! Note: Because this is a classroom blog, I do moderate comments, so there will be a delay once you post your comment.