Monday, September 2, 2013

Happy First Day of School!

 
Welcome back to school, Second Graders and families!  It is hard to believe it is already September, but I hope everyone had some fun and got to relax this summer.  We have a busy year of learning ahead of us. 
Second grade was MY favorite grade when I was in elementary school at Holy Name School in West Roxbury.  My teacher was Mr. Bernazanni.  I really only have a couple of really clear memories of him: praising a poem/prayer that I wrote in the style of James Herriot, an author my mom and aunt were very into at the time, and the time he had fifth graders make special Easter basket treats for us.  Although those might not seem like the most exciting events to many, the warmth and happiness that they created has resonated with me for quite a long time.  It is one of my goals to make sure that while your children are working hard and learning, striving for goals and persevering, that they are also making fond memories that will last.  I might not be able to make every student love school, but I do hope to at least make them love it a little more than they thought they did.  
Many of you have probably heard that I like technology.  I do!  (I'm crazy for books, too!) Let me assure you, though, that there is more to me and my teaching beliefs than "the teacher who uses computers".  Technology use is only one tool that students need in order to succeed.  They need to learn how to relate and work with others, even if it is sometimes frustrating.  They need to learn to be responsible for their belongings and their actions, even if it sometimes results in consequences.  (Consequences, I believe, are meant to teach a lesson, not be punitive.  For example, a consequence might be to come up with a solution for a problem that they have created or encountered.) They need to learn to not give up, not take the easy way out, and to presevere through a task or problem.  They need to learn to be creative and compassionate.  Creative does not necessarilly mean artistic.  It can mean they have a penchant for the arts, but it can also mean that they are problem solvers, thinkers, contributors. Here's a great resource that anyone involved in education (parents, teachers, administration) should read Rigor Redefined.  Enjoy!  (Don't worry-all my posts don't include reading assignments!) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and positive comments welcome! Note: Because this is a classroom blog, I do moderate comments, so there will be a delay once you post your comment.