Monday, October 24, 2011

Lantern Festival at Jamaica Pond


   Last post for tonight-I promise!  We decided to got to the Lantern Festival at Jamaica Pond this weekend hosted by Spontaneous Celebrations, an organization that I do not know much about, other than that they encourage culture and community through art.
  Out of curiousity, I drove by the festival on Saturday evening around 8:00, figuring most people would have left by then.  There were still tons of lanterns making their way around the pond and it looked SO COOL!  I was able to get a good look at some of the lanterns, too, and noticed they were made of recycled soda bottles! 
I made it my mission to scrounge some up on Sunday and get to work! 
   Since I am not a huge soda drinker, though a big fan of A&W Diet Root Beer, I had to borrow some bottles from my aunt and mom who mostly had 1 liter bottles.  These worked out great, however!  I pulled out all the leftover tissue paper I had, a bottle of Modge Podge (that I watered down), some paint brushes, and scissors.  (BTW The Modge Podge was actually glittery, so my vampire creation really did SPARKLE!!!)
    Next, Emily and I got to work!  We painted the glue onto the tissue and stuck it to our bottles-as simple as that.  The nice thing about tissue paper is that, although it is delicate, it is very forgiving to work with.  If it rips...paint it with more glue!  I hope you enjoy our final products in the slideshow above and I hope you get a chance to make some lanterns of your own!    

Note: We used electric tea lights.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and positive comments welcome! Note: Because this is a classroom blog, I do moderate comments, so there will be a delay once you post your comment.