Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11: Ten Years Later

Like many, I can't believe it has been ten years since September 11, 2001.  The students I had then are now seniors in high school or freshmen in college.  (I was teaching a mixed class of second and third graders at the time at Boyden School....long story!) The students I have now weren't even born yet! 
I have to admit I wasn't really sure if I should even address the event with my current class.  The more I thought about it, I realized I had to.  This is an event they will be hearing about for the rest of their lives...even though they weren't alive when it occurred.  I have to say that many of them already knew quite a bit, once again showing that parents are a child's first teacher!   
As a school, we decided to address the events of September 11th, 2001 by focusing on the Heroics and Patriotism that were ignited as a result of that tragedy.  I was fortunate to come across a beautifully illustrated book that  addressed the events of 9/11 in such a way.  The book is Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey written and illustrated by Maira Kalman.  Please ask your child about this special book.


As a school, we also acknowledged the day by having a short, simple ceremony that consisted of a few words by Mrs. Grinavic about helping one another in times of need, the raising of the flag, The Pledge of Allegiance, a moment of silence, and singing "This Land is Your Land" and "God Bless America".  Please view the following slideshow to witness just how wondeful your children were during this ceremony!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Polite and positive comments welcome! Note: Because this is a classroom blog, I do moderate comments, so there will be a delay once you post your comment.